Tall Ray of Sunshine’s hilarious post about meddling matushkas (and the creation of matushkamatch.com – when is that launching?) got me thinking about what married people can do to help their single friends get married. Basically, matchmaking has two components: a) Introducing eligible singles to each other and b) getting out of the way. To break it down further, here’s a list of how meddlers can help their friends get married:
1. Pray that God’s will for them will be done.
2. Before going about matchmaking, make sure you know your friends and understand what will make them happy. Example: Do not attempt to set up a devout Orthodox Christian with an atheist. Do set up devout Orthodox Christians of differing jurisdictions with each other, e.g., OCA gal with GOA guy.
3. Host parties where various people are invited. Do not make it explicitly a “singles” event. Do invite eligible multiples of each gender.
4. Even better, have a hospitable home where people are often coming in and out or spending a weekend here and there. Don’t limit your social life to other married couples. The positive influence and stability of a happily married couple on a single person and all their mutual friends cannot be overstated.
5. Never give your single female friends a hard time about being single. Assume that the right person hasn’t come into their lives yet. Do not give them advice unless explicitly asked. Compliment them on their best qualities. N.b: If you’re a married man, best to leave this to your wife.
6. If you think of two people that might be good for each other and want to set them up, do not ask the single gal if she wants the single guy’s number. Great scott, no. Tell the single gal about him and ask her if it’s okay if he is given her contact info.
7. If a singleton isn’t interested in someone you suggested, do not get upset with them.
8. If one of your matches does hit it off, refrain from nosiness. Do not try to direct the relationship. Do not ask them when the wedding is.
9. If you have two people in mind for each other and one of them starts dating a 3rd party, do not attempt to sabotage the relationship. What are you, psycho?
10. Anything missing? Leave your suggestion in the comments!